Bell Ringers Archive 2012
Festive cheer - on 3rd December Richard Bowditch rang in a quarter peal at Chewton Mendip – the method rung was appropriately called “Christmas Delight”!
Coming up on Saturday 19th January is the Glaston Branch Quarterly Meeting and Quiz Evening. This time the ringing starts at 6pm at Croscombe and following this the meeting will be held at 7pm in Dinder Village Hall. The quiz begins at 7.30pm. If attending please bring your own drinks and snacks.
Croscombe has a ring of six bells ranging in weights from approximately 7cwt to 17 cwt which are hung in cast iron frames made in 1923 by Loughborough Bellfoundry. The bells are much older than the frames and are dated from 1613 to 1820. There is also a Sanctus bell of 1½ cwt dated around 1399. Dinder Church also has six bells but are somewhat lighter, 4½ cwt to 10½ cwt, hung in oak frames made by Llewellins & James in 1907. The bells date from around 1450 up to 1902.
Croscombe tower are pleased to welcome Ken and Helen Brown who are experienced ringers so together with Mike Hay, the tower captain, the ringing has taken on a new lease of life.
We are very fortunate in this group of parishes to have four beautiful churches all with ringable bells even if one or two of the towers are rather challenging!
Please note that the Quiz evening is open to all, not just ringers.